New Report Helps Governors Lead Effective Implementation of State Standards
Successful implementation of state standards for postsecondary education, called Common Core State Standards (CCSS), is critical to ensuring the nation’s students have the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in college and the workforce. This report provides governors and other state policymakers with guidance to transition their school systems to the standards.
NGA says, "Governors’ authority over education and the tools with which they can take action vary considerably from state to state, yet all governors should consider taking the following actions to support implementing the CCSS:
- Communicate a vision for reform;
- Identify performance goals and measure progress;
- Engage key leaders from education, business and philanthropy;
- Build educator capacity;
- Lead transitions in state assessments and accountability policy;
- Support local development and acquisition of new curricula and materials; and
- Maximize resources and share costs."
Read more about these standards in the link below, where you can also access the full report, Realizing the Potential: How Governors Can Lead Effective Implementation of the Common Core State Standards.